Friday 7th September 2012by Linda Vasquez
I was thinking about home today. And well, thinking about how I visited this last summer I started to remember a popular Peruvian restaurant, “El Pollo Inka” that is located in my birth city of Torrance. The restaurant specializes in Peruvian cuisine, but their signature is the rotisserie chicken that is used in many of the dishes. As you can imagine my mouth is watering at this point, so I figured the only way to get rid of my antojo (craving) for my favorite dish at “El Pollo Inka” was to make it myself.
I went on a mission in Fargo to find the right ingredients for Lomo Saltado. In english the name of this dish translates to Jumped Chicken. Funny, huh? Really though what Lomo Saltado is is sautéed chicken and vegetables. I hope you weren’t getting excited that you were going to have to jump a chicken for this recipe (maybe some other time).
Peruvian food is known for its combination of asian and latin spices. Lomo Saltado is a perfect example of a mixture of asian flavors and latin spices and is great to get you started on your first exotic meal. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 full chicken breast, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen fries
- 3/4 cup white onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbs. white vinegar
- 2 tbs. honey
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 tbs. cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Before beginning make sure to prepare all of the vegetables and chicken by cutting them the way listed in the ingredients.
- In a medium-large bowl, place in the cubed chicken and pour in the vinegar, honey, soy sauce and lime. Mix.
- Add paprika, cayenne and cumin to mixture. Mix, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, in a medium pan add 1/2 tsp. of olive oil and set on low-medium heat. When oil starts to sizzle, add the frozen fries to the pan. Fry until golden brown. Set aside on a plate and season with salt and black pepper.
- In the same pan, add onions, garlic, green peppers and tomatoes. Sauté for about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and add to pan with vegetables. Sauté for another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Add fries and mix.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with cilantro. (Optional: Serve with white rice.)Enjoy!
Did you try the recipe? Comment below and tell me how it went; I want to know!
Tags: asian flavors, california, chicken, chicken recipes, easy recipes, el pollo inka, fargo, food, food blog, latin cuisine, latin food, latin recipes, lime, lomo saltado, moorhead, peru, peruvian food, recipe, restaurant recipes, sauteed chicken, spicy, vegetables